Friday, March 18, 2011

Blessing learned

Why is it that sometimes it takes not having something to understand the blessing behind it? We take for granted so much without realizing it.  I think we all have times of comfort and  unrest, times of health and sickness, riches and poor, faith and doubt, the list could go on.  It may be far between, but all it really takes is moment of reflection to realize the strength in determining our blessings. This week has been one of those for me. Not that the week has been eventful, but it has reminded me of so much, and the lack of gratitude caused by not reflecting more often. For me its not just on what I have right now, but what I have had and never realized were blessings, not entitlements. I have decided that,

I WILL NOT TAKE FOR GRANTED: (now or later)
- a supporting job (we have been without for too long)
- my education (higher education is a privilege)
- a loving husband (I have lived without)
- a good nights sleep (they are few and far between right now)
- my health (one small cold I can handle. I don't have a terminal illness)
- my neighborhood (I took a walk outside yesterday and forgot how much I love this area)
- technology (one day without internet or TV and it is clear how reliant on it I am)
- the time with my kids (especially given I have to share it)
- a good week (even a bad one, we could be in Japan?!)
- my body (may not look as good as it used to, but it could be worse)
- my garden (takes to much work to take it for granted)
- our extended family (it's not very often you find as strong of relationships as we have)
- a hot shower (took a cold one the other day. Not fun)
- restful legs (I have RLS and it rarely gives me a break)
- my home (I don't need bigger or fancier. It more than suits our needs. Just look at the homes in the Phillipines)
- my school professors (I love them all. How often does that happen?)
- a nice bed (I have slept more bodies in smaller)
- a dinner from Grandma (she is alive, capable, and caring. I love and admire her)
- no food allergies (I have friends who do. Its tough)
- hayfever (it means spring has come!)
- a dirty house (it hold evidence of children enjoying life)
- my white noise machine (I have tried sleeping without it. Doesn't work well.)
- my membership in the church (so many have still not received the Gospel)
- my culture (learning about others at school makes me realize I am where I am meant to be)
- a note from my daughters (they care about me enough to write one. I should keep them.)
- a child snuggle (someday they will outgrow it)
- my friends (they have loved me through all my weaknesses)
- visits from family (I hate when they leave)

I guess I look at my list as things that I sometimes forget, or have forgotten until I have done without. Perhaps that is why Heavenly Father allows us to do without sometimes, or gives us the experience of the good and the bad, to be able to compare for ourselves, the ways he has blessed us and the ways he will continue to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment